X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vfast
    • Jan 2010

suspension

im building a new metro subframe for a mini i want to use coilovers this time around
    my old mini has waston springs in the gas pots with high-lows and gazs adjustable shocks its ok but is very limited with setup
    i am looking at arms from the mgtf at the minute if anyone has any insight all is welcome
    i am interested in which coilover and spring to use
  • Oz
    • Oct 2003

The MGTF arms use a very weird Coilover mount so you'd have to use MGTF coilovers and if you were going down that route you'd need the MGTF subframe as the base frame as it has the turret for the top mount to fit in to. It does not use the same type of top mount as a Mini front set up, it's more similar to the rear damper top mount.

My advice firstly is that if you do want to go coilovers then you'd need to keep the BGF/Metro top arm and make a set of mounts to fit that mimic the front coilover mounts for a Mini set up.

Personally I've used the Watsons set up for 10 years. The only issue I had was that the spring was a bit soft so I had to run the damper on quite a hard setting. This was solved by fitting a later Watsons helper spring inside the original spring (a bit like the old dual valve springs on a Mini head) and it's been fine ever since.
    Watsons frame in a standard length front, they said it was impossible ...

Build Thread - standard length round nose B series with Watsons frame, it is possible

Comment

• AGoaty
      • Oct 2008

Couple of pointers.

If you decided to go down the MG TF setup route then you will find it doesn't fit under the Mini wings. They are long springs and make the setup high and wide.

The springs and shockers on a MG TF give a harsh ride. The standard car weighs in at 1250kg. If you were to adapt this to suit the Mini, weighing around 750kg this harshness would be too much.

Look at the early Watson's frame. These used a coilover setup. Wade's Mini is like this. He will be able to tell you what spring rates that he's got.

EDIT. His build is full of blank photobucket images. Maybe a PM to get the images direct.
      Last edited by AGoaty; 22-11-2017, 01:34 PM.
      If tha does owt fo nowt, olas do it fo this 'en.

Comment

• vfast
        • Jan 2010

s

good men

Comment

Working...
        X