Project Scorpion, RWD, mid engined, K turbo.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris16v
    • May 2016

Glad your sticking with it!

Comment

• CooperWorks
      • Dec 2010

Some good news for you, if you take that pound to the bank they will exchange it for a new one.
      Your luck has changed.

Comment

• AGoaty
        • Oct 2008

It's on it's way...

I told him no rush. Got plenty of other stuff to be on with.

So the subframe came out and although is a bit rusty, actually looks in decent condition. All the bolts I had to cut off will have to be replaced. It's had all the rubber bushes removed and replaced with poly. Think I'll get a pair of shock absorbers too! Hoping this just needs cleaning and a coat of paint. The engine mounts that are broken I have found a lad near me breaking a MG F so he's supplied them.

I actually sold the gearbox I built for this, but have changed my mind on the ratio setup anyway. I am going to go for the Freelander 1.8 S4 ratio box. Having thought about the close ratio box, I think with the turbo lag this could have, you would be changing gear before full boost is reached. This set of gears has big gaps 1-2, smaller 2-3, smaller 3-4 and close 4-5. On the gear calculator, 3000rpm at 70mph. Top speed, 156mph (in my dreams).

I have put the seats on eBay. They are from an Alfa Romeo 156 and quite a sought after item apparently. Bidding at £29. I was going to take them to the tip!
        If tha does owt fo nowt, olas do it fo this 'en.

Comment

• InstantCustard
          • Sep 2010

Wouldn’t the close ratio gearbox keep the revs up higher and keep you on boost?
          I’m not aware of exactly how the K turbo performs but I would have guessed with wider ratios you’ll be loosing boost in between gear changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Originally posted by Burnard
          couldnt be bothered to stretch that far to pull it out.
          Originally posted by ardonfast
          Haz obviously don't like custard , my Mrs spits it out to!
          I love it

Comment

• InstantCustard
            • Sep 2010

Are you still using a GT25 turbo by the way?
            If so, I didn’t think that was supposed to be a “laggy” turbo and spooked up quickly.

I love it

Comment

• AGoaty
              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by InstantCustard View Post
              Wouldn’t the close ratio gearbox keep the revs up higher and keep you on boost?
              I’m not aware of exactly how the K turbo performs but I would have guessed with wider ratios you’ll be loosing boost in between gear changes.
              Originally posted by InstantCustard View Post
              Are you still using a GT25 turbo by the way?
              If so, I didn’t think that was supposed to be a “laggy” turbo and spooked up quickly.
              The ratios are wider in the low gears and closer the higher you go. In my brain think that's a good thing as the turbo engine can develop much more power and torque lower down the rev range. It's more based on how hard you press the loud pedal rather than the higher revs. You have my S6 box. With the difference in wheels we are using, out on the road we will be almost identical.

It's not the GT25 turbo that will give lag. It's the 10-12 feet of intercooling pipework.
              Last edited by AGoaty; 02-07-2018, 11:57 AM.

Comment

• CooperWorks
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by AGoaty View Post
                It's on it's way...

I told him no rush. Got plenty of other stuff to be on with.

So the subframe came out and although is a bit rusty, actually looks in decent condition. All the bolts I had to cut off will have to be replaced. It's had all the rubber bushes removed and replaced with poly. Think I'll get a pair of shock absorbers too! Hoping this just needs cleaning and a coat of paint. The engine mounts that are broken I have found a lad near me breaking a MG F so he's supplied them.

I actually sold the gearbox I built for this, but have changed my mind on the ratio setup anyway. I am going to go for the Freelander 1.8 S4 ratio box. Having thought about the close ratio box, I think with the turbo lag this could have, you would be changing gear before full boost is reached. This set of gears has big gaps 1-2, smaller 2-3, smaller 3-4 and close 4-5. On the gear calculator, 3000rpm at 70mph. Top speed, 156mph (in my dreams).

I have put the seats on eBay. They are from an Alfa Romeo 156 and quite a sought after item apparently. Bidding at £29. I was going to take them to the tip!
                Good luck with this Andrew, looking forward to seeing it in tip top shape.

Comment

• gadget555
                  • Jan 2011

The "turbo lag" you talk about will be un-noticeable, it will be somewhere between 0.3-0.5 of a second delay, but if you are concerned about turdo lag you could always fit a super charger as well
                  Who was it on here that fitted their turbo in the boot floor then ran the pipework back to the front. The thing with turbo's to make them work efficiently they need to keep the heat in them so that they spool up with the hot exhaust gases expanding as they come out the cylinders into the manifold then into the turbo, that's why you see a lot of big bhp turbo'd drag cars have the turbo's insulated to keep the heat in. So with running a front mount inter-cooler you will have the bonus of the longer pipes giving more cooling effect to your boost going into the engine than with the engine front mounted and all the pipework tucked in around it!
                  Last edited by gadget555; 02-07-2018, 09:45 PM.

Comment

• InstantCustard
                    • Sep 2010

Pretty sure Andrew is going to use plastic pipe though, if he uses metal pipe then it will aid the cooling.
                    Is there a possibility of overcooling if the intercooler is large plus the metal pipework?
                    I don’t see your pipe lengths as overly silly given that most of it will be straight , most front mount intercooler kits have quite a lot of bends and end up fairly long by the time they negotiate the engine bay, as long as you put minimal bends in, it’ll be fairly free flowing.

I love it

Comment

• AGoaty
                      • Oct 2008

I am going to get stainless steel tube for the intercooler piping. Main reason is the ease of obtaining it. The thing is I didn't realise until Clive pointed it out, the amount of heat going through these would melt most plastic.

My A4 intercooler isn't very big in all honesty. Hopefully the under car tubing will help with this.

I am going to get one of those insulation covers for the turbo. Not for a power gain, simply to stop me cooking inside the car! The turbo will be between the seats.

Comment

• gazwad
                        • Sep 2006

why not attach a cup holder to the turbo to keep your tea warm?
                        my build: http://www.16vminiclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4887
                        https://youtu.be/X7O46JmFPh0

Comment

• AGoaty
                          • Oct 2008

Originally posted by gazwad View Post
                          why not attach a cup holder to the turbo to keep your tea warm?
                          As it is claimed to be about 180 degrees, I would never be able to drink it!

Comment

• gazwad
                            • Sep 2006

tepid
                            my build: http://www.16vminiclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4887
                            https://youtu.be/X7O46JmFPh0

Comment

• Chris16v
                              • May 2016

Andrew.. I would not worry about turbo lag the only time you may get it is in 5th gear at around below 3000rpm. The bigger GT28 turbo starts making power at around 3500rpm so id guess around 3000/3250 for yours So just change down or just hold the revs higher in each gear.

I know you have a GT25 turbo, but to get it running for starters you may be better with the standard GT20.. That has very little lag and 200/210bhp is still fast.

It on paper it does not sound much difference to Phoneix but delivers the power in a very different way and driving experience.
                              Last edited by Chris16v; 03-07-2018, 06:35 PM.

Comment

• AGoaty
                                • Oct 2008

I am aiming for a fast road/track car. Not fussed if it's not the fastest at either as you need thousands to chase that position. I did like the 5th gear in Phoenix when I had the diesel box fitted. Made driving to an event fun. The higher revving box now is better on track, but a bit much on the motorway. This setup is best of both worlds. Those on here having built the C7 box will have a similar 5th gear, just a different set of gears up to it. I have placed my bid on the S4 box, so that's my decision.

I have got the GT25 turbo so sticking with it. I have been chatting with Sean Waite on the turbo Facebook group. His engine produced 276bhp from the Kmaps remap fitted into his Metro although a few have challenged those numbers. I have copied his engine spec and messaged Kmaps about having the same remap done for mine. If I get anywhere near that, I'm happy.

Just for the record as I know a lot on this forum either don't use Facebook or not part of the turbo group but one of the lads on there, Lee Conner has just got 526bhp from his 1.8 Rover K series turbo. I realise that it's all forged, special pistons etc but that's still a fantastic achievement. It's actually in a kit car weighing only 550kg too!

Comment

Working...
                                X