Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > General Public Area > Non 16v Mini Chat

Old 27-03-2017, 07:54 AM   #1
Chris16v

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1.8 t
Make: Rover
ECU: Emerald K6
Default hazard light problems

Just wondered if anybody knows what ive done wrong.

this both indicators work as they should, if you press the hazard switch on both indicators stay illuminated but don't flash and the tell tale stays solid red. If you move the switch to half way between on and of the tell tale flashes and the nearside only indicator flashes.

The only way its works is to press the switch half way, then put the right hand indicator on?

Any ideas?

This is A series mini based with a rapidfit wiring loom with only 1 flasher relay

Cheers
Chris16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2017, 08:34 AM   #2
Birdman

CC: 2000
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: Motronic 2.5 - Group N Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris16v View Post
Just wondered if anybody knows what ive done wrong.

this both indicators work as they should, if you press the hazard switch on both indicators stay illuminated but don't flash and the tell tale stays solid red. If you move the switch to half way between on and of the tell tale flashes and the nearside only indicator flashes.

The only way its works is to press the switch half way, then put the right hand indicator on?

Any ideas?

This is A series mini based with a rapidfit wiring loom with only 1 flasher relay

Cheers
I had issues very similar to this with the mini hazard switch. For me it was necessary to get a new switch as they fail and the contacts fall aprt, hence doing things when switch half depressed. If it is an illuminated switch it usually this problem. Well was for me after much headscratching..
Old 27-03-2017, 09:40 AM   #3
Chris16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdman View Post
I had issues very similar to this with the mini hazard switch. For me it was necessary to get a new switch as they fail and the contacts fall aprt, hence doing things when switch half depressed. If it is an illuminated switch it usually this problem. Well was for me after much headscratching..
Cheers, will look into that and open up my hazard switch
Old 28-03-2017, 07:40 AM   #4
Chris16v

Ive opened up the switch with nothing obvious that looks wrong? i will try another and swap the relays round
Old 28-03-2017, 07:59 AM   #5
Birdman

CC: 2000
Make: Vauxhall
ECU: Motronic 2.5 - Group N Chip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris16v View Post
Ive opened up the switch with nothing obvious that looks wrong? i will try another and swap the relays round
Yeah this is worth a go. I did the same . Opened up the switch and looked OK, but a new switch worked for me and yes relay. That should be your 1st things to try.. BOL
Old 28-03-2017, 09:58 AM   #6
edk83

If it's any help at all I've recently fixed faulty hazards on my Allegro which uses the same switch.

The way it works is when off the bottom two pins pass through power to the indicator stalk so the indicators work.

When the hazard switch it is 'on' it breaks the connection on the bottom two pins disabling the stalk switch. It also connects the top 3 pins together which are power from the hazard flasher and a feed to each side.

If your getting light when the switch is in mid position it will probably be shorting it with the indicator feed.

After tracing the wiring my problem was a poor connection on the fuse box, someone had already put a new fuse in, but the wrong one as the Haynes manual listed the wrong fuse as hazards! (also had the wrong type flasher fitted so swapped that and sorted).
edk83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 08:16 AM   #7
evolotion

CC: 1400
ECU: Megasquirt

would need to see a diagram im not sure how this can actually work with a mini switch and a single flasher unit for indicators and hazards, as said the hazard switch by function usually gets rid of the indicator flasher relay.

Denis.
evolotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2017, 09:07 AM   #8
Chris16v

Hope this works trying to do it from my phone at work!

Thats what i have!

Last edited by Chris16v; 31-03-2017 at 09:10 AM.
Old 31-03-2017, 10:34 AM   #9
evolotion

CC: 1400
ECU: Megasquirt

theres not enough info there to see whats going on, the hazard switches are pineapple and fail often, but if a new one doesnt work give the company who supplied the loom a ring and/or see if you can get a proper diagram of the loom

As an educated (ish) guess, if the hazard switch lights up all 4 indicators solid, with the ignition off, if you put a mini hazard flasher inline on that purple wire to the switch it should work. But there should be a more elegant way to make it work on the one flasher unit for hazards and indicators but without seeing the diagram I couldnt comment on that

Denis.

Last edited by evolotion; 31-03-2017 at 10:43 AM.
evolotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 01:12 AM   #10
AGoaty

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1796
ECU: Standard

Have you sorted this Chris?

If not I probably have a replacement of both switch and relay if that helps.

You don't say which type it is but agree if a Mini one they are unreliable. Usually the indicators stop working though as the contacts arc and deteriate.
Old 04-04-2017, 09:11 AM   #11
Chris16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoaty View Post
Have you sorted this Chris?

If not I probably have a replacement of both switch and relay if that helps.

You don't say which type it is but agree if a Mini one they are unreliable. Usually the indicators stop working though as the contacts arc and deteriate.
Not had chance to look into it yet!.

spent the whole weekend looking for the spare key to my lease car that does back today before i get the 400 bill for a new key!

Anyways, i have this type standard mini switch
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Classic-Mi...YAAOSwintXRwQT
Old 04-04-2017, 10:03 AM   #12
99fusion

Location: A funny little country with more special beers per capita than anywhere else
Subframe: Allspeed
Make: Suzuki

Well on the mini the hazards and indicators are flashed by the 'clicker' module. What you have in your loom is probably more moden, but i'm guessing the principle is the same. I may be way off here, but it's also possible you have not enough current/voltage (?) running to said module, or the wrong module for the current required to flash all four lights.

Just a thought that sounds logical to me...

Btw, mind if I ask how much you paid for your loom? I want those blade type fuses and box!
99fusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 10:40 AM   #13
Chris16v

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99fusion View Post
Well on the mini the hazards and indicators are flashed by the 'clicker' module. What you have in your loom is probably more moden, but i'm guessing the principle is the same. I may be way off here, but it's also possible you have not enough current/voltage (?) running to said module, or the wrong module for the current required to flash all four lights.

Just a thought that sounds logical to me...

Btw, mind if I ask how much you paid for your loom? I want those blade type fuses and box!
It came with this car, nice loom

http://www.rapidfitlooms.co.uk/minimk4wiringharness.htm
Old 04-04-2017, 04:04 PM   #14
99fusion

Location: A funny little country with more special beers per capita than anywhere else
Subframe: Allspeed
Make: Suzuki

Cool thx. I just dropped them a line for a customised quote. Care to share some pics if it's not too off topic ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
99fusion is offline   Reply With Quote