X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • AGoaty
    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Broomel View Post
    If it makes you feel better i came off at the same corner a few years back, came to a halt on the tarmac section a few feet from the tyres beside where you crashed.
    The marshal just shook his head in disappointment, opened the gate and made me leave.
    I realise it's not just me. It was a silly mistake that I have paid a big price for. I realise it could of been a whole lot worse, so just have to put it down to lack of experience and learn from it. That Camp corner is a strange one in that the apex is much further around than it looks on approach.

I can make all the excuses in the world but it's not going to change what has happened.
    If tha does owt fo nowt, olas do it fo this 'en.

Comment

• ardonfast
      • Oct 2011

O buggeR , when I'm up let's fit a survo! This should go down in history as the text book why !
      "yuck ,more like a 3 r2"
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=tb261HwQNDQ
      SAY WHAT YOU BELEVE,,BELEVE WHAT YOU LIKE,
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3JhaTwP7uuk

Comment

• AGoaty
        • Oct 2008

What would a servo do? I locked all 4 wheels under hard braking. A servo would make it easier to do that.

Comment

• InstantCustard
          • Sep 2010

I’m interested to hear the theory behind this, it’s not the first time I’ve heard Shaun mention it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Originally posted by Burnard
          couldnt be bothered to stretch that far to pull it out.
          Originally posted by ardonfast
          Haz obviously don't like custard , my Mrs spits it out to!
          I love it

Comment

• ardonfast
            • Oct 2011

Originally posted by AGoaty View Post
            What would a servo do? I locked all 4 wheels under hard braking. A servo would make it easier to do that.
            Well strangely it wouldn't do that , it acts like a buffer ,
            When you push pedal the survo takes over the pressure,
            Like a dam stops water , and you get used to it,
            A dam is not a good example but give the idia!
            That's why the survo brackets have to be strong,
            Coz it's receiving the 1 to 1 solid fluid , it then sorts that out
            So the piston has a better understanding of it,
            "yuck ,more like a 3 r2"

Comment

• AGoaty
              • Oct 2008

The pain set in on Monday. I was struggling a bit with various aches but mainly my ribs hurt. My job last night, driving a fork truck means looking over your shoulder when reversing hundreds of times per shift. Not ideal after an incident like this.

I would like to thank various people for offers of help to repair Phoenix.

Having looked at the shell it's not just the initial damage that has taken it's toll. The outer panels which are bent could of possibly been pulled out and straightened. BUT, there is a lot of rust showing too. We noticed the near side sill has split at the back, near the subframe. Put a screwdriver in and almost all the outer sill has pulled away at the bottom due to rust. When pushed hard against the floor, the floor section I didn't have replaced when it was built has corroded too.

I thought my seat had broken in the impact. It's like it's reclined too far backwards. Looked at how this has happened and the floor has given way. It's pushed down by around an inch on the rear mount! The seat actually looks ok.

The main reason though for my deciding not to repair it is this. The rear subframe has become twisted. It's visible without needing this piece of wood but shows it more for a photo.

This is why my steering wasn't straight when driving Chris. It's crabbing.

On the plus side the actual subframes look in good condition. Nothing looks bent or damaged.

On the look out for another shell...

Comment

• twincamtone
                • Feb 2017

Hey Andrew! Good to see you're ok When you find a shell, get a rollcage in it...You were lucky this time buddy, Mini roofs fold like cardbaord

Comment

• AGoaty
                  • Oct 2008

Originally posted by twincamtone View Post
                  Hey Andrew! Good to see you're ok When you find a shell, get a rollcage in it...You were lucky this time buddy, Mini roofs fold like cardbaord
                  Thanks mate. I will survive!

Regards the roll cage. I am not convinced that's a better option. I agree when you have a helmet on that it is but without, the cage it'self is a massive risk to your head. The fact that the panels have creased and bent is a good thing from my body's point of view. If it was solid, I would be in a lot more pain.

Comment

• InstantCustard
                    • Sep 2010

Originally posted by twincamtone View Post

In this case it’s the floor that’s like cardboard, it looks like the car has tried to fold and the floor has bowed in the middle, the roof is solid in comparison.
                    I don’t think it will be long before we see it back on the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Originally posted by Burnard
                    couldnt be bothered to stretch that far to pull it out.
                    Originally posted by ardonfast
                    Haz obviously don't like custard , my Mrs spits it out to!
                    I love it

Comment

• ardonfast
                      • Oct 2011

Nice thought tone , but if phenix had a roll cage , Andrew and the seat would have ejected out the side window ,
                      "yuck ,more like a 3 r2"

Comment

• AGoaty
                        • Oct 2008

After being convinced by Shaun that it was easier to repair the shell then by another. I said to him if you think that's true, then come and sort it then. So he has!

He brought a hydraulic ram. Used various ways of jacking the body out and get the rear subframe back in line.

Removed the interior and panel beat out the body which had surprisingly little rust, then skim of filler to bring it back to the correct shape. It's not meant to, be a concourse car, so adding filler was ok by me. If I'd of opted for a new quarter panel, new front wing, new A panel and new door skin the bill would of increased by around £400.

New floors and sills were quite easily found locally. You will see from the video, Shaun has had hours of fun in my garage.

I also think he's enjoyed our way of life up here. Spoiled him rotten...

I have taken a few pictures but Shaun has done 2 video's that he can explain what's happened.

Part 1.

Created by VideoShow:http://videoshowapp.com/free

Part 2.

Comment

• NudgerSS
                          • Mar 2008

The bloke is a club legend!

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
                          Originally posted by apbellamy
                          I've got 3 long studs in my hand.

Comment

• AGoaty
                            • Oct 2008

Originally posted by NudgerSS View Post
                            The bloke is a club legend!

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
                            I have to say, I love being in this club. So many great people. I've now great friends from here. The list is growing too as more people join. I think it must be the Mini thing where you do actually help others out when in need.

Thanks to everyone who has helped along the way with this. I'm at a stage now where I can plod along rebuilding it.

My first job is tidy the garage. It was bad before we took Phoenix apart but now is horrendous!

Comment

• gazwad
                              • Sep 2006

glad to hear its being fixed
                              my build: http://www.16vminiclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4887
                              https://youtu.be/X7O46JmFPh0

Comment

• edk83
                                • Dec 2014

Great news, looks like it will be better than before as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X