• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G20NEY
    • Oct 2017

Mini Project

Hi guys,

So I always wanted and have finally got a mini. (not running)

I plan to do a engine change and am aiming for a performance build.

Looking for help/advice, resources to learn.

I know next to nothing about cars generally, historically I have had more cars than I care to remember. Always around performance.

Engine/gearbox I have around £5k budget in mind. Then supporting mods etc a few more K at a guess.

Where to start guys?

Thanks in advance.
  • AGoaty
    • Oct 2008

First off, hi and welcome to the forum.

Second, could you fill in a few basic details like your location as this is a world wide forum and your engine choice can be affected where in the world you live.

Third, everyone has their own opinion. But generally you must decided what you want to use the Mini for. You say performance but as the quickest Mini to leave the factory was the very rare ERA turbo with a 1275 A series having 90bhp and almost all of the conversions having much more than that, how much performance do you want? You will struggle to fit most under a standard length front, but is possible with some. Does it need to be road legal?

I am biased towards the Rover K series. If you are in the UK, this is cheap, light and easy to get a donor car or parts. Subframes are ready made by a few companies meaning less fabrication work. Gearboxes suited to small wheels are easily available. It is possible but very tight to get under a removable standard front. This seems the most popular conversion for a UK built car. The amount at shows and events show this.

Both the Honda and Vauxhall are also popular. These are probably best described by someone who understands them better but both are far heavier than the Rover. Subframes are available for these too.

Other engines are also used. Suzuki, Toyota, Nissan etc. These are all light but are not as powerful as the Rover and I don't think subframes are ready made.

Motor bikes engines are great for a track car but not really good for a road car due to the low torque.

As stated, I am biased. This probably stands out but please do some research before making a decision.

Andrew.
    Last edited by AGoaty; 11-10-2017, 10:13 AM.
    If tha does owt fo nowt, olas do it fo this 'en.

Comment

• G20NEY
      • Oct 2017

Andy,

Thanks for the information, I am based in the UK, South Yorkshire area, I would like to have the mini road legal still when I have completed whatever it is I end up doing to it.

Power wise I want really to achieve as much as I can within the budget I have set. I have come from a 700bhp Nissan GTR so I want something that will keep my interest. A lot of the conversion you have mentioned I have seen, but I don't know what BHP to expect from them or in they fall within my budget.

For the moment I doing some research and getting a list together of all the parts I need to buy to get the overall condition where I want it to be. The standard 1L engine will suffice for now.

The engine being swopped out is almost a definite, just looking for sound advice on something relatively simple within my budget and a understanding of what BHP I can expect.

If the numbers don't add up I may have to work on budget but either way I want to create a fun fast small car. Mini seemed like the perfect choice

Thanks again, appreciate any feedback.

Comment

• geachy87
        • Apr 2013

When I was looking into conversions at the start I originally wanted to do a honda b16 conversion, but looking at prices of engines, the fact you have to mod the bulkhead or inlet manifold etc made me look at rover engines, they're lighter and standard the 160 vvc makes around the same power as the Honda b16, all for a lot less money. I've since took my vvc engine out before I even had it on the road and am now fitting a rover 1.8 turbo k series instead which should be around 200hp.

Probably best looking through all the builds (that still have working links to pictures) and seeing what conversion suits you best in terms of ease of fitment, power you want etc

Comment

• AGoaty
          • Oct 2008

There are 3 people on here with the Rover turbo engine and figures around 300bhp are about right.

That in a car weighing 700kg is plenty, especially for road use.
          If tha does owt fo nowt, olas do it fo this 'en.

Comment

• Oz
            • Oct 2003

You wont find anything road legal that will come close to a 700bhp GTR.

Most FWD Mini conversions will struggle with traction as the power increases. With a lot of fabrication, so far we've seen high powered 4wd Honda and Vauxhall powered Minis using OEM transmissions. You may also want to consider going RWD, ie cutting out the rear seats and adding a transverse engine in the back. Google Zcars Minis to see.

At the end of the day it will still be a Mini and it will never be a replacement for a tuned (or even a standard) GTR.
            Watsons frame in a standard length front, they said it was impossible ...

Build Thread - standard length round nose B series with Watsons frame, it is possible

Comment

Working...
            X