X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 250minime
    • Oct 2018

MCM JDM RHD Auto D16 Build

Hey guys I have been lurking around for a bit, but the ball is rolling now so I thought that I would start posting my build on here.

So far this is what I am going with:

The original car was improrted from Japan here to Canada. 1996 RHD 1275A. I scooped it up cheap after it had passed hands 3 times locally. Whatever, its White, has a green interior, rust free, and the Auto motor needed out to change the main torque converter seal. leaked engine oil like crazy. And that 1275 auto is a POS at 110kmh or more it was like going to murder that engine with 4 speed. garbage.

MCM d16y8 OBD2 Honda stock motor (donor was a Canadian Acura 1.6EL)
    - just put in new clutch exedy stock + throwout
    - new timing belt, h2o pump, main oil seal
    - Civic 2 bolt poly mounts
    MCM modified intake
    s40 transmission with Quaife LSD
    MCM custom shafts
    Mini-tec willwood pedal setup (I was automatic so its justified)
    LED 7" Jeep lighting up front so far

I have deleted the mini harness engine wise. I am going rywire "new minitec" tucked harness, and minitec OBD1 computer. Prey that this is going to work. Mini-tec claimed that the OBD1-2 issue will be gone using their setup and it has worked in prior set-ups. So, for now I am going to keep the engine OBD2

So far the engine is out of the mini, I have cleaned up the lighting wiring and painted the firewall. I am going to use a reflective 3M aluminum heat shield from Aircraft Spruce.

The Subframe is powdercoated and fitted and is back out ready for the honda motor to go in. I hit another speed bump in the build and called it quits for the night.

Anyways here is the progress so far.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by 250minime; 29-10-2018, 03:34 AM.
  • 250minime
    • Oct 2018

So first problem I have to deal with in the morning is my OBD2 injectors are not fitting in the modded MCM edelbrock performer intake manifold. If someone wants to chime in. Talked to John and he always sets his minis up OBD1 so was unsure. I am going to try and use what I have so it looks like the injector slots are going to be upsized just a hair. Also OBD2 hondas have the intake air temp sensor in the intake tube prior to the TB. where as the MCM intake has provisions to use the OBD1 sensor on the intake manifold. So I am going to order a OBD1 air temp sensor honda PN 37880-P05-A00. and steal the right connector if needed from my old engine harness, OBD1 uses the round style 2 uses square connector, both 2 wire for the temp sensor. No big deal IMO. Drilling the intake to larger diameter injectors??? this is a question or re-pin the harness for ODB1 injectors and not drill the intake manifold for the larger diameter 2 injectors. Already dropped like 800 on the harness would suck to have to change it and hack into it but such is life i guess. I still do not have the harness in hand so maybe wait and see what injectors the harness is going to have. I ordered obd2 so... chances are...

Comment

• 250minime
      • Oct 2018

pics of the intake manifold and injectors that are too big.
      Attached Files

Comment

• 250minime
        • Oct 2018

some reason first pictures did not post.
        Attached Files

Comment

• joltfreak
          • Jun 2004

Where are you located?
          I'm in Hamilton Ontario. I completed a b series swap using the rywire harness and wilwood pedal kit.

Comment

• 250minime
            • Oct 2018

I am located on the Island Mon! right by YYJ. The hamiltoe eh? How do you like the Wilwood and rywire setup? were you OBD2? chime on in.

Comment

• 250minime
              • Oct 2018

So.... there is no difference between the diameter of the boss for OBD1 or OBD2 injectors, the casting on the intake from John at MCM was never machined.

So... long day, got this figured all out with John and took the intake to my local machine shop. case of beer and some cash and 2 hours later it was machined.
              its 13MM or just over 1/2 inch the boss for the injectors. used a reamer after setting up the manifold in the drill press. drilled to 1/2 and then reamed to just around 13mm.

The casting on the intake isn’t the best. I had to clean up a few of the bosses but it was just junky aluminum so one injector is not as tight as I would like it to be but it’s close to stock. Anyways the fuel rail is solid on there and the injectors don’t budge one bit. Had to drill the fuel rail to mount it and bend one nipple to clear the manifold just a hair. It’s tight but stock d16y8 is in there.
              Attached Files

Comment

• meetthespeakers
                • Nov 2009

Following along, good luck with your build!
                McGee's Custom Minis

The 76 Clubman Estate Build Thread

Comment

• joltfreak
                  • Jun 2004

Originally posted by 250minime View Post
                  I am located on the Island Mon! right by YYJ. The hamiltoe eh? How do you like the Wilwood and rywire setup? were you OBD2? chime on in.
                  Wilwood and rywire set up works awesome. No complaints. Mine is OBD1

Comment

• 250minime
                    • Oct 2018

joltfreak... Cool, looking forward to installing it next week, dealing with one of the two shear bolts for the the steering drop bracket. Iv got the engine ready for the harness and subframe.

finished the transmission side.
                    rear main seal, pilot bearing, stock flywheel, exedy stock clutch, new throwout, S40 LSD and poly civic mounts.

I am going to get the harness on and then mount the engine to the subframe. Then drop the chassis on.

I will now head back into the cabin, get that steering drop bracket shear bolt out, and address the interior firewall and floor pans. I don't have any rust to deal with but I have the lizard skin insulation and sound control to shoot and nows the time. The firewall engine side has the heat shield installed and the next thing is to counter sink the hardware for the steering gearbox capping plate. I still need to figure out where to mount the heater control valve box and I may use the Honda fuel filter housing. My throttle cable is going to be way too short, I am going to rip the Honda one out and see maybe if its going to be long enough. I also need to figure out my throttle cable bracket. I may have found a d16z6 bracket locally. The Y8 brackets mounting holes do not line up but if they did, with a little tweak the geometry would be perfect... I may just take the d16y8 bracket fill the one hole in re-center and trim the mounting flange and then just figure out cable length. RHD, I have to go all the way around the front and back of the intake with the cable and then through the RH firewall. I think re-mounting the cable at the pedal for proper throw is going to be the easy part.

... The list keeps growing but no showstoppers whatsoever.

everything is looking sweet, super stoked on how things are going so far.

Attached Files

Comment

• meetthespeakers
                      • Nov 2009

Is it just me, or can no one else see the pictures?
                      McGee's Custom Minis

The 76 Clubman Estate Build Thread

Comment

• Oz
                        • Oct 2003

Originally posted by meetthespeakers View Post
                        Is it just me, or can no one else see the pictures?
                        No, not just you. The Attach Picture option doesn't work. The few on this post that are blue attachment hyperlinks (posts 3, 4 & 7) will work if you click on them but the rest don't.
                        Watsons frame in a standard length front, they said it was impossible ...

Build Thread - standard length round nose B series with Watsons frame, it is possible

Comment

• 250minime
                          • Oct 2018

Ok, I will fix this and repost. sorry guys I thought it may have been my computer, but I tried every way how to post attachments here.

Comment

• 250minime
                            • Oct 2018

Comment

• 250minime
                              • Oct 2018

success

Comment

Working...
                              X