X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • webster444
    • Aug 2014

Megasquirt

Anyone built their own megasquirt for a Vauxhall engine?

I'm in the middle of building mine and I am slightly confused on how to build in the additional ignition driver for the x16xe wasted spark coil pack. Some places seem to say that you leave the ecu driver alone and buy two additional drivers to drive the two coil channels where diyautotune where I bought the kit stated I only need one. There also seems to be different ways of wiring them up as some diagrams for installation seem to include more additional components than what I received in my driver mod kit, my additional driver mod kit includes 1 x BIP373, 1 x 330ohm resister and 1 x mica insulation kit.

How has everyone else done this that can shed some light?
  • evolotion
    • Oct 2003

I don't know the specifics but surely it just wires up the same as the ubiquitous ford EDIS coilpack. I.e. one extra driver. At least that's how I did mine but it was nearly 14years ago so I don't remember details.
    11.9@118 :)

Denis.

Comment

• Mini Vlatko
      • Feb 2007

What a coincidence! I assembled my MS few days ago and I was following the assembly instructions...my MS is MS1 V3.0
      I did all checks with Jim Stim and passed them...I would be also interested if I did something wrong cause I'll be using wasted spark coil pack ignition and VR sensor.
      Quickly now, before I think it through!
      https://www.facebook.com/BrutalacGarageProjects

Comment

• webster444
        • Aug 2014

Think I may have a way forward for this where I de-solder the driver I have installed on the board and wire it in with a resister along with the additional driver.

Looks like I may have the wrong coil pack as the small block coils require a logic signal to fire so more mods to MS are needed. So I need a 3 pin coil pack non amplified for my setup

Comment

• evolotion
          • Oct 2003

Id need to see the diagrams, but you can safely fire logic level stuff with the megasquirt IGBT as its active low. It also has the nice benefit of moving the heavy current carrying stuff outside the megasquirt itself.
          11.9@118 :)

Denis.

Comment

• Mini Vlatko
            • Feb 2007

I am using a 3 pin coil

Comment

• MattG
              Administrator
              • Sep 2003

done it a few times , always forget though lol

dont think i ever got the Vauxhall coil pack to work , always used fords , but not saying its not possible

also make sure you use right size Caps on the crank input circuit ( if you are using the GM crank sensor / trigger wheel)
              Mini Restoration on YouTube, donate to club running costs : [email protected]

Comment

• webster444
                • Aug 2014

Seems alot of folk have issues with the Vauxhall coilpacks so will likely try a ford unit.

I haven't altered the crank circuit yet. Where did you find the cap sizes for the Vauxhall sensor?

Comment

• MattG
                  Administrator
                  • Sep 2003

Is the build instructions. Just make sure you make me for multi tooth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• MattG
                    Administrator
                    • Sep 2003

If you have high tooth count. Then they recommend changing cap. I missed that once. And took me while to trace my steps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Mini Vlatko
                      • Feb 2007

I was building my MS according to build instructions and every time when choice appeared I made it for VR signal and wasted spark coil pack ignition...I didn't realize that there are some more options and mods needed to be done just to use Vauxhall Coil and VR 60-2 trigger wheel?

Comment

• webster444
                        • Aug 2014

I did not see anything about different capacitors for the 60-2 wheel in the destructions either.

Comment

• MattG
                          Administrator
                          • Sep 2003

taken from manual , step 51

Install and solder C31 {399-4329-ND, 0.1µF, 104 marking OR 399-4202-ND, 0.001µF}. This is located as the 4th cap in the row of "vertical" capacitors above the text "Bowling" in the copyright notice.
                          Note: A 399-4202-ND 0.001 µF capacitor should be substituted if MegaSquirt will be receiving higher frequency tach inputs. The smaller capacitor helps to maintain the signal integrity and timing. This 0.001 µF capacitor is especially useful for high tooth count wheels including all crank wheels that have more than one pulse per ignition event such as the popular 36-1 or 60-2 missing tooth crank wheels.

Comment

• Mini Vlatko
                            • Feb 2007

I'm just in the middle of finding an explanation of whether to install more Bosch BIP373 transistors or that one is enough.
                            Somewhere it says it's necessary to install another two and according to the instructions it is enough that one that comes in the kit...

Comment

• webster444
                              • Aug 2014

Matt, do you have a link to that manual? The one I followed only has 32 steps for assembly!

Comment

Working...
                              X