Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > Builds > Honda Builds

Old 12-11-2008, 08:44 AM   #1
TurboMini

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1600
Make: Honda
ECU: Standard
Default Travelle"R" Std lgth JDM B16A

I've been lurking on this site for a while and after talking with MiniMike and watching his updates I figured I should probably start a thread on my current build.

My first Mini engine swap was a 1.0L turbo Suzuki 3 cylinder. It was a budget project and I drove it for a little bit but it has some bugs to work out and I'm kind of thinking of going another direction with it so I am taking a break from it to build my standard length JDM B16A Travelle"R".

I would like to thank Craig at Hunter Classic Sportscars for looking after my Mini parts needs and helping me arrange transportation of my Mini projects around from time to time. He sure helps my projects come along by having the parts I need when I need them.
http://www.hunterclassicsportscars.ca/

This is the day I brought the Traveller home on the trailer and loaded up my TurboMini to put it in storage.

I started working on it the last sunday of March 08. I quickly stripped the car down, welded in some supports and cut out all of the bad metal and then started building the car up from that point.

It came with a fiberglass flip front but I am going to convert it back to a steel front, but I'm going to modify it so I can unbolt it to get the engine in and out and have a regular functioning hood.

I decided that I wanted a flatter more sturdy floor in the cargo area with some tie downs so I can actually haul some stuff in this car. So I cut the floor out of the back of a 4Runner and welded it in.

I didn't like how the doors were mounted to the sandwiched inner and outer A panels so I made a custom plate with some hinge mounts and welded it to the car. I only installed the outer A panels so I can avoid the rust situation that occurs between inner and outers.

A perfectly good Civic with a JDM B16A being removed for a good cause.

Making some room for the new lump.

Test Fit.

2 Side mounts.

Some more body work.

Stock rear engine mount with custom bracket.

Header cut to rotate position of oxygen sensor to make room for the rear engine mount.

Shortened shifter linkage and stabilizer.

Shifter tunnel was cut and flipped to position the shifter hole slightly more to the right side of the car instead of the stock slightly left location. This allowed the shifter and and exhaust to run side by side through the tunnel instead of having the exhaust hang too low. The hole is positioned the same distance from the firewall.

Notched firewall to keep stock intake manifold. I was going to build a custom intake but then realized I am not a Honda engineer and I was likely to lost performance. However, I felt I could design a box recessed into the firewall instead. I am going to have to modify the pedal box and run some different master cylinders with remote reservoirs.

I want the car to look relatively stock but also use Honda parts where possible. So here is one example. I am running the Honda gas filler tube with breather, but I wanted the stock Mini cap so I mated the two bits together. There is still some more work to be done to mate it to the tank.

I also wanted stop fuel from pouring into the interior of the car if I were to get hit so I enclosed the tube as it passed through the interior.

Test fitting the new 13x7's over my existing Honda brake set up on my TurboMini. I plan to build the same set up for the Travelle"R".

I have decided to run the wiring harness from the donor car with a few modifications and ditch the Mini harness entirely. So I went the the extra trouble to fit the Honda door switches.

I prepped the car for some sealer since the weather is changing and I don't want the car to rust up while I continue building the car up.

Since tree needles seam to clog up the drain holes in the gutters here in BC I decided to close them up for a cleaner look and seal up the top of the gutters with some seam sealer and at least help stop them from rusting.

I'll try and keep the updates coming regularly.

Last edited by TurboMini; 23-09-2010 at 11:09 PM. Reason: date in title
TurboMini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:15 AM   #2
WanaGo

ECU: P30 - Chipped with Crome Gold

Wow, excellent build - you are very tallented!

Keep up the good work - really good work!

Cheers
James
Old 12-11-2008, 04:09 PM   #3
MiniMike

CC: 1500
ECU: Honda standard p08

Looking good! Did you get the wiring sorted? You might want to cut the similar slots in the gutter that the new Minis have, to allow the water to drain, but should not clog up. It's basicaly just a small area of the gutter cut away at each of the four corners.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:44 PM   #4
TurboMini

Mike, I think I'm just going to leave the front gutters the way they are now. But the back corners already have a small section cut out so I think that will be sufficient. I probably won't use the car much in the winter anyway, I'll probably just store it inside in the winter and drive my Toyota truck.
Old 17-11-2008, 07:51 AM   #5
TurboMini

This week I've been doing some prep work to get it ready for some sealer so it doesn't rust in my portable garage in which it is kept outside. Most of it is covered, but I have a few spots I still need to clean up and spray this week.

Old 23-11-2008, 07:27 AM   #6
TurboMini

I picked up some Miata seats today. I will be building a custom cross member to mount them to in the near future. They look worse in the pictures than in person. At least they don't have any rips.

Old 24-11-2008, 05:49 AM   #7
TurboMini

Today, I worked on the car all day. It doesn't look like I did a lot, but I did. I had a friend come over and help me do some heat shrinking on some areas I couldn't do by myself. Then I did some work smoothing the fire wall. I filled in the holes I didn't need, I'll just make new holes where I need them. Also I massaged the shifter tunnel just a little bit with some fire and a hambone to make sure that the exhaust wouldn't ever touch the floor and rattle. I hate those kinds of rattles. When I put my foot down in this thing I don't want any distractions, I think this machine demands my full attention.

There was some dust in the air when I finished working so I turned off the flash for some of these pictures.

Old 28-11-2008, 08:43 AM   #8
TurboMini

I picked up a full set of coil overs today for my TravelleR project and I removed the cones and trumpets from the front suspension. Also I spent another few hours on the wiring harness, I'm over half finished the wiring now. If got the wiring figured out and I just have to fit it in the car and adjust lengths and run it where I want.
Old 01-12-2008, 03:49 PM   #9
TurboMini

I've been spending a fair bit of time on the wiring lately. I've got some pretty good momentum going so I think I will continue working on the wiring until I can just plug everything in. I don't want to stop and have to figure out everything again.

Old 01-12-2008, 04:36 PM   #10
MiniMike

Good progress. Looks like a pile of spaghetti! I see you are running the harness through both left and right sides of the dash. Is this because you are using the whole harness and not just the engine harness? Boy, that is a big fuse box.
Old 02-12-2008, 02:51 AM   #11
TurboMini

I am running the wires similarly to how they are laid out in the Honda, and yes, I am running the complete Honda harness for the whole car. No more Lucas except for the exterior light housings.
I know you hate the fuse box. I considered converting it to a smaller fuse box, but it would have been a lot of work to keep the control module on the back of the fuse box. I pulled it all apart and it would have been more work than it was worth. Besides, I am planning on putting it some unused space so it won't really be noticed anyway.
Old 15-12-2008, 07:56 AM   #12
TurboMini

The wiring is coming along quite nicely. I decided it was time to sort out the pedal box, steering column and seating position so I know where everything will be positioned so I can figure out where the wiring will be sitting exactly. Once I know this I can finish up the wiring and shorten up some sections and get all the mounting points sorted.
I have pulled out the trumpets and cones, reinstalled the steering rack, front subby and the engine as well as the wheels to check for clearance issues. I wanted to make sure I could steer and I would have room for the coil overs and the master cylinders. Here are a couple pics.

Mike, did you get any work done on your Mini? I didn't let the snow stop me!
Old 15-12-2008, 09:33 PM   #13
MiniMike

Nothing got done on the car this weekend, spent a cold day on Saturday getting my son's Porsche 924 running. Sunday was way too cold and we were having a Christmas open house, so the day was spent preparing and entertaining!

Before you get too far along, it might be a good idea to complete the rest of the frame, as you may find the weight on the engine on just the two arms spreads them out. With the rest of the subframe in place you will be able to keep any movement of the engine/frame from occuring when you check all your clearances for the suspension etc..my 2Cents! ( or 2 pence)
Old 25-12-2008, 11:08 PM   #14
Dave The Cake

Send a message via MSN to Dave The Cake

Really nice project sir! very inspiring indeed, makes me want to go and put loads of effort into my welding and do some good clean fabrication!

any picures of how your doing your frame would be greatly appreciated!

Keep it up
Dave The Cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2008, 01:22 AM   #15
TurboMini

Thanks Mr.Cake, I'm glad you find my work inspiring. I've been building stuff for a long time and I've been getting better and better equipment which makes things a little easier. All my old work I used to do was with an angle grinder and a 110v flux core welder. I did lots of cool stuff but with the addition of a plasma cutter a better MIG and TIG it sure makes a difference.

I will definitely be posting more pics of the subframe as it comes along. I have some rough ideas of what I'm going to do but I'm busy figuring out where everything needs to go. The pedalbox and the wiring have been taking alot of time to get right. I've also started on the coil over mounts. I think after I have some of those little things the rest of it will start coming together a little quicker.

I'm doing something a little different with my pedal box, I am running 3 clutch masters, two with a Wilwood balance bar for the brakes and one for the clutch. I didn't have room for a purpose built master cylinder between the firewall and the engine. I'm going to be running remote reservoirs. I didn't want to build the pedal box with the masters inside the car above the steering column because I want to keep the parcel shelf dash. Also I'm trying too keep the car looking fairly stock at least at first glance. I know the big wheels and flares are a bit of a give away. I like going to the extra trouble to make it like I didn't do much at all. I think the details make the project.