Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > General Public Area > Toyota Chat

Old 31-01-2013, 09:09 PM   #1
windymiller

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1600
Make: Toyota
ECU: Standard
Default 4age + 6 speed gearbox

I've been thinking of trying a 6 speed box for a while now in my 4age powered mini, but 6 speed gearboxes from celicas and mk3 mr2's are fetching 3-400. I didn't want to buy one, only to find it didn't fit, so when I was offered a C160 from a Corolla G6 at a good price, I snapped it up. The ratios of the C160 aren't the best for 13" wheels - the final drive of a C60 is what I need - but once I know a 6 speed will fit, I can then keep an eye out for an mr2 'box with LSD

The corolla has a 4efe engine, so this gearbox won't bolt straight on to the 4age. To get it to fit, I need to swap the bell housing from the standard 5 speed C52 MR2 gearbox onto the 6 speed box. Here's what I had to do to modify the gearbox:

Firstly, I need to strip down the 6 speed gearbox. This will make you lose skin, bleed and swear a lot:

Take a few pics so you know where everything goes!:

6 speed box in bits:

Next, I striped down the 5 speed C52 gearbox from a mk1 mr2. I need the bell housing from this to swap onto the 6 speed box. This caused more swearing and fresh bleeding:

Here's the bell housing:

Next, build up the 6 speed gearbox with the 5 speed bell housing:

And here it is, ready to fit:

The selectors are at the 'back' of this gearbox, which is handy as thats where they need to be for my conversion The gearbox mounting is different so I'll need to modify the frame when it comes to fitting. The only thing left to do if fit the drive shafts joints from the C52 gearbox and fill it with oil. I'm hoping to have it fitted to the car before the end of March and then we'll see how it is

Last edited by windymiller; 31-01-2013 at 09:13 PM.
windymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:28 AM   #2
Beavis

CC: 1500cc
ECU: Link Storm

Thanks for that i want to do the same with my race car doesnt that come with a lsd ?
Old 01-02-2013, 05:07 PM   #3
windymiller

CC: 1600
ECU: Standard

No lsd in the corolla gearbox that I used. The uk spec mr2 roadster came with one as standard i think and has a better final drive for cruising. 6th gear with the gearbox I have will give virtually the same cruising revs as the 5 speed. The Yaris d4d gearbox has an even better final drive for cruising but no lsd. I need to do a bit more research cos I may need to change the drive shafts if I fit an lsd.
windymiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:29 PM   #4
Beavis

CC: 1500cc
ECU: Link Storm

thanks for the information i will have to check what the setup for the different cr are over this side of the water i would like a lsd but not if is going to cost a arm and leg