16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > Builds > Rover Builds

Old 05-02-2012, 09:23 PM   #1
richh999

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1800
Make: Rover
ECU: standard
Default Project Coxy, Mid-Engined RWD 1.8VVC with a little carbon..

Hi. So I Have finally decided to start a build thread.

If you haven't seen my intro heres a summary.

I'm Rich, a student at Bristol UWE studying mechanical engineering, I live/work on a farm in beds/cambs area and so I've been around tools since I could work and have had to do many a bodge job, hopefully the mini isn't going to be one.
I leant to weld on the farm and before trying to weld on the mini the thinest metal I'd ever welded had been about 5mm so I wasn't at all worried about cage/subframe welding but am for body work and alot needed doing.

There aren't many pics from the beginning but I got a new shell so not much has been missed and loads keeps getting changed so I'll definatly be taking more pictures as I go on now.

Progress will be slow due to being at uni alot and the mini being at home..
Sorry for the pineapplepy pictures from my phone.

http://s1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb358/Richh999/

Heres some plans.

Mid-engined RWD 1.8vvc
spax mini coilovers
14" minilite wheels
Full cage
Cobra bucket seats
Fibreglass front end
Single skin boot skin
Lotus exhaust
Alloy fuel cell
Tilton 600 floor mounted pedals
Tilton 75 series master cylinders
Braided brake and fuel lines
Carbon fibre roof skin
Carbon fibre bumpers
Carbon fibre miglia arches
ETB Digidash
Carbon fibre grille
Polycarb windows
Carbon mirrors

I may have forgotten stuff but I'll try to add if I remember..
Oh and as a student I am trying this at a kinda budget, ish..

So this is the shell that I decided to use..

As you can see there is alot of rust on the underside, I don't have any picture of the other rust spots.

I then got hold of an mgf and cut up all the bits that I wanted and trial fitted the bits into the shell once I cut the back out.

Last edited by richh999; 27-03-2012 at 11:36 PM.
richh999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:25 PM   #2
richh999

Default new shell

So I decided that this shell was too rusted so I went onto the bay and found one that wasn't too rusted, needed a new dash rail, rear valance, and spots of rust on the roof, hence the carbon roof skin idea starting the whole carbon bug..

I cut the back out of this one and have always liked the deseamed look but still keeping the bumpers so this is the direction i'm going with it.

I then welded the cage in and mount the subframes, and suspension, these are going to change soonish.

I'm going to need some very wide arches, this is with 15" fitted not 14" wheels..

I then brought a VVC engine as the mgf only had a 1.8i.

This is it in the back on my audi, kinda tight squeeze, had issues getting it out at home and so had to use my brain. I had no engine crane so thought. hmm, this will do..

Overkill engine crane?? Kinda scary puttingh the forks into the back of the A3.. aaah..

Last edited by richh999; 05-02-2012 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:44 PM   #3
richh999

So, I realised I didn't write much on what I've actually done but tbh, its not that much, or well whats photograghed isn't much meaning as I'm at uni I can't really remember.

I've made a mount for the alloy fuel cell at the front but haven't got around to making the radiator mount. I had also mounted the original mgf pedals to the bulkhead but was having issues with them, as you will see in a monent in its first drive video, so I decided to go with the tilton ones, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Tilton-3-P...924#vi-content

I'm using the mgf steering as well and then using external fuel filter and pump.

Heres the video of it before it got the vvc engine and the smoke is due to oil in the manifolds?

Any questions feel free to ask..

Last edited by richh999; 05-02-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:51 PM   #4
MiniLandy

CC: 1400
ECU: Megajolt

...cool.

Where abouts are you in Cambs? I'm from Ramsey (although at uni in Hull) and haven't seen anyone doing 16v swaps from round our way.

Nice looking project, some serious fabwork going on. Get more pics up!
MiniLandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
richh999

Thanks, seems to take a while doing the fab unfortunatly.

I've redone the suspension mounts which have taken a while along with the subframe mounts as they were quite simple but not strong enough for my liking thus taking even longer..

I'm on the beds boarder between st neots and sandy. I've seen a few are from down south from me, stevenage/hatfield way but none up the middle near us, although we are about 35mins apart.. ha.. I seem to be in the middle of everyone..

Also could a mod change the title please..
Project Coxy, Mid-Engined RWD 1.8VVC with a little carbon..
Old 08-02-2012, 10:51 PM   #6
Dan Morris

Studying engineering at UWE? Doing a rover conversion? Same here! What year are you?
Loving the build so far, RWD+short wheelbase=Fun times! Looks like it will be fairly rapid looking at that video too.
Dan Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:09 AM   #7
richh999

Haha.

Erm, I'm a second year mech eng but I did a year of electronic engineering first before that. What year are you?

I had issues with the clutch and accelerator in the video so I couldn't do quick gear changes or open the throttle fully so hopefully will be quicker.

We have an old WW2 runway on the farm which is just under half a mile so may do some testing on it once sorted those little bits.. ..
Old 09-02-2012, 12:39 PM   #8
Dan Morris

Well I'm a second year motorsport but I did foundation before that. Sounds quality that runway, would love to hoon about on a big runway!
Dan Morris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
Add_Gee

Subframe: Watson
ECU: Rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by richh999 View Post
I had also mounted the original mgf pedals to the bulkhead but was having issues with them, as you will see in a monent in its first drive video, so I decided to go with the tilton ones...
What were the issues with the MGF pedal box? I was thinking of doing that with mine.
Add_Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #10
fra-mini

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1400 t
ECU: emerald
Send a message via MSN to fra-mini

can we have a 16v drag meeting on the airfield? please mister... please
Old 14-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #11
richh999

Quote:
Originally Posted by Add_Gee View Post
What were the issues with the MGF pedal box? I was thinking of doing that with mine.
Basicly cause I had modified the bulkhead the pedals were mounted too high for my liking and then when I tried to lower them I couldn't get enough travel due to the new placemnt and where they were mounted started to flex.
Seemed easier to go for the floor mounted and also have always liked floor mounted pedals. Also used the servo and this then fouled the front subframe due to its height..

Dan Morris, I imagine we share quite a few lectures together then.. ha, If you need a hand then give me a shout..

As for hooning about on the runway/having some fun I'm sure I could ask. I know the NSA comes each year and does 1/8mile drags as they have to have a large run off but if its not a "proper" event then we could get away with doing 1/4 miles as done them a few times with some farm workers, in tractors..
Old 16-02-2012, 02:21 AM   #12
Basil

Send a message via MSN to Basil

Project looks good.

I study at UWE as well (civil engineering, 3rd year), I live in Hertford. Small world eh?
Basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 03:14 AM   #13
evil ewok

Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 1400
ECU: megasquirt

i think there needs to be Herts and Beds 16v club meet at some point! i'm from just down the road in Stevenage
Old 08-03-2012, 05:07 AM   #14
richh999

Definatly needs to be a meet around us although mine won't be going anywhere soon so yeah.. haha..

Also we should do a UWE/bristol meet at some point..

So a little update: got a parcel today from the states..

They maybe some rather expensive pedals shipped from there... they're soooo pretty..
Will be posting pics up later, need to work out how to attach the throttle cable to them, didn't opt for the 130 throttle adapter, I'm a broke student..
Old 17-03-2012, 08:02 PM   #15
richh999

Sorry for no pictures, I kinda forgot/never do enough to take a photo as I'll start one thing then swap to another and so on never actually finishing anything.

I have however been working on it this weekend and have some pictures of it and bits that I've been doing/done. They are only taken on my phone but left the cable at Uni so will have to wait till monday..

Started fitting the pedals today, have come to realise why many people don't have floor mounted pedals, they either push you too far back or you have to cut the floor where the subframe mounts..

My seat is already quite far back and can't go further cause the engine so I've cut the floor but now need to work out how to mount the subframe, any ideas???

Thanks

Tags
1.8vvc, mgf, rwd, vvc