Old 02-03-2011, 01:47 PM   #16
DarrenW

Subframe: Watson
CC: 2000
Make: Honda
ECU: DTA
Send a message via ICQ to DarrenW

There is of course a warranty.

At the very least there are the sales of good act responsibilities when purchasing from a business, ie fit for its purpose, of a suitable standard and so on.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:13 PM   #17
wilp99

Subframe: Allspeed
CC: 1797
ECU: S300

yes they do help with the good act. perfect customer service. and always helpful. they make a great product, i just think that maybee they should make the frame with the bar moved back to allow for a stock civic rad. to be honest im kind of playin devils advocate as i am running a standard civic rad in my all steel clubman, and it is straight in the engine bay no mods to frame, i just flipped the front bar over so its in lign with the other side bars. ill post pics alittle later, so it is def possible, but for those with a round nose, def not.

Last edited by wilp99; 02-03-2011 at 05:15 PM.
wilp99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 05:51 PM   #18
zeemaxpower

I was wondering while someone is on the subject, If i was keeping the standard round nose, whats the rad to run, has be ally, ie: firm where people are getting them from cheers
zeemaxpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 06:09 PM   #19
wilp99

clubman to the rescue...lol
Old 02-03-2011, 06:16 PM   #20
DarrenW

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeemaxpower View Post
I was wondering while someone is on the subject, If i was keeping the standard round nose, whats the rad to run, has be ally, ie: firm where people are getting them from cheers
I am aware of only one firm that has produced such a radiator, which was originally produced for a standard round nose and also made my radiator.

A quick search gives some pictures, Here are the measurements from the guy who owns it:-

http://www.16vminiclub.com/forums/album.php?albumid=8

Hope that helps, thanks.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:26 PM   #21
Kam

As Darren says, as soon as you step outside a companies frame design you are on your own - just the same as other guys here who have made there own frames from scratch who haven't had them certified etc

The only rad that fits in the roundnose with the allspeed frame is a custom one as above, people have tried all manner of off the shelf rads but unless they post up there findings then everyone else is left second guessing at what will work?

I think someone here got a quote of around 450 plus VAT to have the above rad made to them specs

Theres a guy on here using an allspeed frame and has used a golf/polo rad on the road and strip, but has never posted to state the outcome of running temps, the rad does look small (similar to an uprated MPI one) but if it works then it works

Gingermonkey tried I think polo G40 in his roundnose but had some issues with running temps, he had an override switch for the fan but he also found out his water pump impellor had literally fallen off! so this may or may not have had some impact on it and maybe the rad did work to a certain degree? I don't know....

Off roader is using a standard mini rad turned on its side with the cap blocked off but its a 3 core design, he says he's one runs fine with no issues atall? He's using a home made frame so maybe thats why the mini rad fits?

Others have tried micra rad, two bike ones in series, honda crv and gods knows what else? But no feedback doesn't help

OP - my cut of the frame moves the 'bar' on the outside but as I'm using spacers and some KAD steering rack limiters it don't clash - but is untested on the road

The others can't go on the outside because of tyre clearance so there ones sits behind, but you need to make sure you got enough clearance as the bottom of gearbox will rock towards the front on hard gear changes

As I've cut into my frame now I'm in uncharted territory, so hopefully that will put any passengers or tyre kickers off
Old 03-03-2011, 12:18 AM   #22
flipflop

CC: 1600
ECU: Hondata s300

As kam Said no feedback leaves us second guessing hense my reason for starting this tread. Any pics of your frame yet kam?
Good link Darren, cheers.
So back to the warranty/ liability issue, are our Honda powered minis sufficient enough with an engineers report to sign the car off or would they need an sva test? I haven't heard of any sva testing or anything along those lines but with such a big area of the car being modified I'm surprise that we are not forced to have an sva.
flipflop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 05:38 AM   #23
wilp99

uaually the engineers report is enough. tho the law changed to where the sva is a random thing that the dvla can ask for when requesting the change of the v5. i dont think ive heard anyone going thru the sva as of yet.
Old 03-03-2011, 09:17 AM   #24
nerdymind

CC: B16
ECU: standard

oh great..a lots of room..so am going to buy a new king size bed ;p
Old 03-03-2011, 10:24 AM   #25
VT-Doo

ECU: Hondata S300

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrenW View Post
In the link above, where is the alternator?
Old 03-03-2011, 11:07 AM   #26
DarrenW

Quote:
Originally Posted by VT-Doo View Post
In the link above, where is the alternator?
Its is fitted on the passenger side
Old 03-03-2011, 11:38 AM   #27
Dodger

CC: Type R

The link for the roundnose rad was my mini. Matt got the Rad made when he did the build. He can't remember who made it.

Ive had to replace this now as it was very vunerable - backed into 3 times by neighbours and it was eventualy irrepairable.

I got a new flat rad made up by GRS. This was smaller and so could be fitted further back in the engine bay. This helped with vulnerability but it is a bit marginal on cooling in traffic jams on a hot day. I intend to fit a small rad in another position as a supplement and simply bleed off some of the main flow through this. It will increase capacity a bit as well.
I will also fit a heater valve inline with this so that I can disconnect the flow through this small rad in cold conditions.

you may be able to find a commercial rad that will fit if you go for a clutch slave within the bell housing ( they do exist). This would allow the use of a deeper radiator which may be easier to find.

Lastly - it may be possible to cut the top and bottom strengthening pieces on a commercial rad and then twist the matrix gently before plating the cut pieces so that the twist stays in. This helps clearance with the roundnose front as in my album post --- Dodger
Old 03-03-2011, 11:40 AM   #28
Mini fab

Subframe: Home Made
ECU: PO8/ Chrome

Guys, guys come on ! no need to argue regarding Allspeed what they left out on there design and forgotten the radiator area. Use the Honda rad PERIOD!!! that's what it is all about, It will give you the best cooling for your engine since you've been using the OEM rad. here is the picture... the red line is your modified tube, green lines are radiator carriers and yellow line is the original Honda Radiator.

and regarding welding, We have a saying "It is only made by man , and only man can do the best changes/ alteration" If your not competent with your welding then ask a professional to do it for you, But not limit yourself to any other means and spend money on customized radiator, ( Darren sorry no pun intended but the rad you've shown is not what I can call the best rad, you can pay for that pricey rad, why not pay for a competent welder.? it still touches the headers.
I have mine (thou it's a round tube ) it gives good clearance and better cooling , just doing this position.
Old 03-03-2011, 02:24 PM   #29
VT-Doo

I emailed Allspeed Engineering regarding the radiator/install on their site.

The reply was simple...
"The radiator was a one off special for the standard round nose install, most radiator makers can build you one from a cardboard template."

I then emailed GRS Motorsport regarding a radiator the size of a classic Mini radiator...Location of inlet/outlet and filler neck TBA...I was quoted "300 plus shipping, there is no VAT to play."
Old 03-03-2011, 08:26 PM   #30
Kam

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipflop View Post
Any pics of your frame yet kam?
Mine are on my build diary, from page 17, still work in progress though, but thats not gonna help you unless your running 165/12 with a standard steel wheel offset using spacers and some KAD rack limters and a standardish ride height!

My frame cut/weld has only been tested so far by me bouncing up and down on it, I need to ask a fat bloke down the road first to do the same before I even attempt to go for a drive in it! But me being me I can't work out how to place a gusset to support the new bar against the mount plate as they are offset so I'm hopefully gonna be drilling a hole and putting a high tensile bolt through it and weld up each end of the nut and bolt, belt and braces and all that, pic below has the old bar just placed there for reference

For how a normal person would do it check out Gingermonkeys build diary from page 10, he basically cut and flipped the section over and got clearance, I think (not sure) this is what Jamesfawcett done aswell, the picture posted above by Mini fab is James car but with Mini fabs crayons all over it I think James in the end cut it the same way as Gingermonkey, cut and flipped