16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > General Public Area > General 16v Mini Chat

Old 21-07-2006, 09:47 PM   #1
illa

Default carbon fibre body shell

I have a year 2000 twin point cooper with a bad rust problem.

I'd like to get me a carbon fibre shell to re-shell it....

Anyone know where i may be able to source such a thing?

I've asked curley...but they're taking their time in giving me an answer.

Thanks
illa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2006, 10:05 PM   #2
JoBu

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1600
Make: Honda
ECU: Standard

I dont think anyone makes one.

I think curleys do one that uses a spaceframe, so that no good.

But if i was to buy or get one made, i would only use pre-preg carbon fibre (Yeah mega money ), not wet lay for so many reasons.

Oh well cant help im afraid

Josh
JoBu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2006, 10:17 PM   #3
mooncat

Send a message via MSN to mooncat

its only 6 years old it cant be that bad...???
Old 22-07-2006, 01:32 AM   #4
FatKev

Send a message via MSN to FatKev

There are composite shells kicking about but you want a whole carbonfibre one? A bit overkill and surely too costly :roll: Hate to think what happens when you damage a carbonfibre shell rather than steel or GRP... ... Think someone did a full carbon\kevlar Sprint type shell ages ago and costed the bad side of 7k or something.

Makes more sense to either have the car stripped down and restored or get a new Heritage one at a push. Suppose you could also replace steel panels with composite where possible but that has its own issues... But I agree with Mooncat - it cant be that bad? My N reg is a bit crusty but easily saved with some time and effort.

As for Josh and his love of pre-preg carbon... he just loves the stuff so much he wishes he could impregnate it himself :P You know I'm playing with ya Josh!
Old 22-07-2006, 08:37 AM   #5
JoBu

@ Kev

I have my reasons though especially for a shell, also if you had a full carbon shell i dont know about you but i would want it Kevlar reinforced.

But all what i've said is 's, so dont listen to me

I would just go buy a new steel shell if the car is that bad.

Josh
Old 22-07-2006, 11:07 AM   #6
illa

it is that bad....i live just off the seafront in Southend-on-sea / thorpe-bay- so i think it's something to do with the wind blowing down my street from the sea.

It needs two new doors (rusted through top and bottom), there's rust coming through on the front end. it's rusted right along the bottom of the wind screen (water in the CD player), it's now rusting along the top of the windscreen where the roof joins, obviously due to the rust under the windscreen the waters taken to the floors too......it's just a matter of time.

I bought the car when it was nearly three years old and still paying it off at the moment. I recently sold my 1972 mini which had hardly any rust in comparison with my cooper.

It's gonna need a re-shell eventualy so I'm just trying to see if the CF route is a viable one - curly said they could use the cooper shell as a template to knock me up a CF one, but i'm yet to hear back.

I need to re-shell this car and by going carbon i will hopefully never have to re-shell it again.
Old 22-07-2006, 11:57 AM   #7
FatKev

Send a message via MSN to FatKev

Was going to comment on it can't be that bad unless you live near the sea Well a simple explanation for the Cooper going rusty fast is later Rover Minis had very very poor anticorrosion meassures taken from what I've seen and read compared to older ones.

If you have your heart set on a composite shell then I still recommend a GRP and kevlar reinforced one unless you want to paying off for the Cooper for years to come. A full carbon shell will cost more than a another later Mini Cooper and the debt you still have I bet. Don't know if anyone still makes new composite shells tho... RallySportReplicas went bust as did FRA I think. However the Mini related stufff from RSR is now under a different company name but then the quality of their composite work is highly questionable I believe. Sure someone on here had trouble with them.

Also I'd imagine there are certain issues running a composite shelled Mini - think these shells lends themselves more to motorsport than everday road driving - but I could be wrong as thats just my opinion.

What sort of cost do you think a CF Mini shell is?

Kevin
Old 22-07-2006, 12:09 PM   #8
JoBu

I agree with Kev (HAHA), a full CF shell would soon get destroyed if used everyday. I also think (dont quote me) that CF can be affected by salt.

Im also thinking why CF, it is just because it CF and its become big and in expensive because most of the stuff u can buy is wet lay?

I definately think you will be throwing away atleast 10k for a half decent job.

But its up to you at the end of the day....

Josh
Old 22-07-2006, 12:17 PM   #9
dallas

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 2000
Make: Other
ECU: canems

why not get cf doors 250ish each boot bonnet, and you could even get a cf wings and front pannel grafted/ bonded to the metal body and just have the metal work carried out by a compitent person andgive it decent rust protection?
dallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2006, 10:58 AM   #10
AK115P

Most people think that re-enforced plastic shells don't suffer from corrosion. Hence all the adverts you see 'GRP so no Rust'. If you speak to any marine engineer who deals with GRP they will replace the term 'Rust' with 'Osmosis'.

The resin is attacked by salt water leaving small holes through the resin which becomes porous. It is just not so obvious as dirty brown rust. If left eventually the composite will delaminate and fall to pieces. Repair costs are much higher than welding. First job is to scour off the gelcoat with the outer layer of resin. Then the big job, resoak the laminate with resin before total body sanding and refinish.

If you want to change to a plastic body, for whatever reason, be it grp, carbon fibre or cf and kevlar you will still have to take good care of it in a salt laden atmosphere. At least rust doesn't try and hide.

On the upside kevlar re-enforced carbon fibre is lighter and stronger than steel. Just be aware that it is not maintenance free in the long term.
Old 23-07-2006, 11:02 AM   #11
JoBu

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK115P
Most people think that re-enforced plastic shells don't suffer from corrosion. Hence all the adverts you see 'GRP so no Rust'. If you speak to any marine engineer who deals with GRP they will replace the term 'Rust' with 'Osmosis'.

The resin is attacked by salt water leaving small holes through the resin which becomes porous. It is just not so obvious as dirty brown rust. If left eventually the composite will delaminate and fall to pieces. Repair costs are much higher than welding. First job is to scour off the gelcoat with the outer layer of resin. Then the big job, resoak the laminate with resin before total body sanding and refinish.

If you want to change to a plastic body, for whatever reason, be it grp, carbon fibre or cf and kevlar you will still have to take good care of it in a salt laden atmosphere. At least rust doesn't try and hide.

On the upside kevlar re-enforced carbon fibre is lighter and stronger than steel. Just be aware that it is not maintenance free in the long term.
I thought salt affected it somehow
Old 23-07-2006, 11:20 AM   #12
illa

I would want to go for CF because it's stronger than grp, I know that grp can warp, and because I wouldn't have to deal with rust - but after what everyone has written above I'm going to have to re-consider my options.

I need a bodyshell that isn't going to need replacing in another six years time, I'm not made of money by any means (but I know i'm going to be spending a few thousand on this) - Are the heritage shells made like the older minis, say the same quality steel as a mark 3?

The kevlar GRP body sounds interesting, who could i speak to about a price on one of these?

Thanks
Old 23-07-2006, 11:27 AM   #13
AK115P

Don't misunderstand me I like plastic laminates but 'My personal opinion' is that they are better used for low usage or trackday cars and good old steel or ally for the shell of road cars with laminates for the non torsional panels of the car. Aluminium corrodes as well it just looks like white dust sitting on the surface.
Old 23-07-2006, 11:39 AM   #14
JoBu

Quote:
Originally Posted by illa
The kevlar GRP body sounds interesting, who could i speak to about a price on one of these?
Curleys? Dont see why they wouldnt do one, if they'll make one for you from CF they should be able to do it for you in that material?

Why not just buy a new heritage shell, do everything you can do to prevent corrosion, waxoil all the sills, doors everything you cant get too. Then underseal the shell. Then just look after it and keep it clean and waxed?

That would be the best bet i think.

Josh
Old 23-07-2006, 12:13 PM   #15
mikeb

Subframe: Home Made
CC: 1800
ECU: dta
Send a message via MSN to mikeb

why dont you just repair the car youve got ,carbon, grp,shell etc ,they will cost you a small fortune and in my opinion are not realy an opion as an everyday car ,the car is only 6 yrs old it cant be in an unrepairable state surely