16v Mini Club Forums  

Go Back   16v Mini Club Forums > General Public Area > Rover Chat

Old 14-12-2017, 01:37 AM   #16
AGoaty

Subframe: Watson
CC: 1796
Make: Rover
ECU: Standard

If you are running the MEMS 3 engine loom you use the fuse box from the ZR which has the relays in it.

You don't have a separate box.
Old 14-12-2017, 07:28 AM   #17
Broomel

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGoaty View Post
If you are running the MEMS 3 engine loom you use the fuse box from the ZR which has the relays in it.

You don't have a separate box.
Even though the diagrams show the two mfru plugs on the engine loom?
I thoughtb the fuse box relays were for lights, wipers etc
Broomel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 09:25 AM   #18
gadget555

CC: 1800
ECU: K maps 160 Race

Could you post some photos up of what you've got plug wise ? as all this mention of mems 1.9 to mems 3 gets a little confusing at times.
gadget555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2017, 08:31 PM   #19
Broomel

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget555 View Post
Could you post some photos up of what you've got plug wise ? as all this mention of mems 1.9 to mems 3 gets a little confusing at times.
Hi gadget, please see the below photos of what I have. The ecu and mfru are from my 1.6 (they are glued together).

Sent from my HTC One mini 2 using Tapatalk
Old 14-12-2017, 09:59 PM   #20
gadget555

Hi Bromel this is the MFU I thought you were on about, this is fitted to the inside of the car incorporated into the fuse box, https://mgfcar.de/MFU/index.htm

the one you say is glued to your ecu is the mfru multi function relay unit or fuel pump relay module, different people call it different things. Your wiring look's like mine when I got my engine home from the breakers with 2 foot of wires where it used to go through the rear bulkhead on the MG TF that it came out of. It look's like you have a mix of 1.9 & mems3 bits that your trying to make fit all mems3? would it not be better to get all the wiring from 1 car to make things easier? You will find that there is inconstancy's in the wiring colours in the looms (this is a rover thing!) even trying to follow through the rave cd's with the wiring in front of you, it took me about 3 weeks when I was on nights in work with the wiring laid out on the office floor trying to workout where all the wires went to. I know you've had your car built up and running as I followed your build tread so you know what I'm on about. From what I have read the older fuel pump relay isn't compatible with the newer mems 3 but I could be wrong, see here about 3/4 down the page,
http://www.mycaterham.com/66828/66590.html

I find it a bit hard to differentiate between the pictures when there is no space between the links just an age thing Sorry of not being much of a help I've only had my mems 3 to work out so changing from 1.9 to 3 is a bit of a grey area tome unless it was in front of me to go through it and work it out.
Old 14-12-2017, 10:03 PM   #21
AGoaty

I have to say that's gonna be hours of fun.

So many cut wires.

But with the correct wiring diagram I'm sure it's possible. Do you know exactly the make model and year the new loom came from?
Do you have the VVC ECU?
You will have to cut the black ECU plug off the current loom in order to fit the small plug to body loom from the new ECU.
Old 14-12-2017, 10:09 PM   #22
gadget555

It look's like you have the later fuse box with the fuel pump relay and others built in to it rather than the earlier ones that use the that use the "mfru" Steve Widds had the same one if think when he built his mini.
Old 14-12-2017, 10:12 PM   #23
Broomel

Hi gadget, goaty .

I'm not trying to mix any 1.9 with 3 mems, I was simply trying to find the engine MFRU mentioned in the diagrams on my mem 3 engine loom, I only pulled my old ecu / mfru out to remind me what the plugs like.
I do in fact have the vvc wedge ecu also.

Can't remember what the engine and loom came from, was a couple years back from a bloke in Wales.
Old 15-12-2017, 02:03 AM   #24
AGoaty

Steve Widds fitted the entire body loom and engine loom so all the wiring came from one car. This is perhaps a much easier solution than this!

Keith is right. Later fuse boxes have built in relays. Some of the body loom goes into this. Then also connections from the engine loom are also fitted. You will not have a separate MFRU.

You say not mixing looms but you leave the entire engine loom. You are going to have to adapt the body loom for the MEMS 3 plugs.

The 5AS just swaps. Just use the bigger plug and leave the small one empty. It will work fine.

The ECU and fuse box connections will need swapping over. The 1.9 MEMS will have a big rectangular black plug. This has to be removed and the new one fitted. This is a lot of wiring!

Then the internal connections to fuse box need adapting. You look to have the cut ends ready to do this.

Have to say it doesn't look easy.
Old 15-12-2017, 07:41 AM   #25
Broomel

I don't want to be touching my mems 1.9 plugs at all though, i kept the rover body loom seperate from the mini loom so the whole thing can be removed and left with the engine.
That way if the vvc is lemoned I can just bolt and plug it back in the old engine.

I just need to 're connect all the mems 3 items back together which I should have all the components to make a new loom?

Complete engine loom
Car loom but terminated at bulkhead
Fuse box and all its necessary plugs
5as plugs
Grey engine to body plug
Inertia switch
Diagnostic plug

Sorry but I think I caused some confusion previously that meant we kept going in circles with mems 1.9 chat.
It's not the easiest thing to discuss via computer.
Old 15-12-2017, 12:23 PM   #26
edk83

Assuming you have the mems3 ecu and matching 5as from that mems3 list you have everything you need to make a mems3 loom for your car, not so easy to have it all unplugable from the car / instant swap for the 1.9 though. You'd have to cut the 1.9 and make it custom if you wanted to be able to quickly switch between the two, i'd just go all in for the mems3.

The mems3 loom and bits look very overwhelming but only about 40% of the factory wires and relays / fuses are actually needed, once you start matching them up it does all make sense - just takes time.

With the help of Gazwad I have built my own loom using the mems3 fuse box, plugs, 5as, obd port, fuel cut etc and it took around 8 weeks to wire the entire car as well.

If you want a huge leg up on this speak to Gazwad, for a small fee he can make custom looms from all the mems3 bits and send it back labeled up

Without this it would have taken me much longer for sure.
edk83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-12-2017, 01:28 PM   #27
Broomel

Quote:
Originally Posted by edk83 View Post
Assuming you have the mems3 ecu and matching 5as from that mems3 list you have everything you need to make a mems3 loom for your car, not so easy to have it all unplugable from the car / instant swap for the 1.9 though. You'd have to cut the 1.9 and make it custom if you wanted to be able to quickly switch between the two, i'd just go all in for the mems3.

The mems3 loom and bits look very overwhelming but only about 40% of the factory wires and relays / fuses are actually needed, once you start matching them up it does all make sense - just takes time.

With the help of Gazwad I have built my own loom using the mems3 fuse box, plugs, 5as, obd port, fuel cut etc and it took around 8 weeks to wire the entire car as well.

If you want a huge leg up on this speak to Gazwad, for a small fee he can make custom looms from all the mems3 bits and send it back labeled up

Without this it would have taken me much longer for sure.
Sorry but am I missing something as to why everyone is suggesting I have to be cutting up my 1.9 loom to use a mems 3 engine ?
My mems1.9 is already separate from the mini loom with an exception to the gauge wiring which disconnects. It will be removed as a whole with the old engine.
I then hope to cobble together all the loose mems 3 plugs into a seperate engine only loom ( with a plug to my digital dash also just like my old engine)

Edk do you have the wiring diagrams to hand?

Last edited by Broomel; 15-12-2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old 15-12-2017, 02:11 PM   #28
edk83

Ah ok so if your removing all the mems 1.9 stuff you just need to build a closed system mems3 loom and then run your mini power from the mems3 fuse box. Gauges and sensors / digital dash all separate anyway.

Thats pretty much exactly as mine is, the mems3 fusebox contains all the relays for the engine / 5as / cooling / fuel so you dont need an mfru. The mems3 fusebox also has relays and live outputs for the tf/zr's lights, abs, and aux igntion. they are 40a each so I have those going to the in car fuse boxes switched by relays.

tbh I didnt use the Rover diagrams as I started with an Gazwad closed loom that was ready labeled up for me. I just used the Allegro diagrams to do my wipers, lights, heater etc and made my own car loom. The only bits extra I needed were a battery light wire for the alternator and an extra earth for the obd2 port to work. My digi dash and gauge pod all use their own sensors so my notes are basically a huge list of wire colours and where they go from / to.

I did use the caterham diagram you have for a few things like 5as led, intake temp sensor, fan over ride etc
Old Yesterday, 07:21 PM   #29
AGoaty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomel View Post
Sorry but am I missing something as to why everyone is suggesting I have to be cutting up my 1.9 loom to use a mems 3 engine ?
My mems1.9 is already separate from the mini loom with an exception to the gauge wiring which disconnects. It will be removed as a whole with the old engine.
I then hope to cobble together all the loose mems 3 plugs into a seperate engine only loom ( with a plug to my digital dash also just like my old engine)

Edk do you have the wiring diagrams to hand?
I'm sure it's not as simple as you suggest here.

The engine loom is used complete. No need to alter anything at all. The ECU has a large plug on the engine loom. Your body loom will not have connections on for the MEMS 3 ECU smaller plug. These need wiring into the body loom and fuse box.

When you remove the MEMS 1.9 engine loom the big black ECU plug is part of this so will be removed.

The grey plugs, you can link both plugs together. This leaves the original plug in place if you want to swap back at a later date. The only issue is you will need to cut the 1.9 engine loom to get this plug. As stated, it connects most of the gauges etc.
Old Yesterday, 08:52 PM   #30
edk83

Only if your using the mg gauges though, if it's a digi dash then it's separate?

I think the problem here is that a few of us have good knowledge of the mg / rover wiring but we don't know how this connects to your mini loom. Agoaty has used the entire mems2 engine and body loom striped out to just what he needed, factory rover gauges, clocks and column switches etc. I have a custom closed mems3 engine loom which just needed about 5 wires to actually run. Custom made car loom that is powered from the mems3 fuse box, digi dash is separate again. I repurposed the factory grey plug and a couple of mgzr tailgate plugs to connect the engine loom to my custom car loom (starter button, ignition switch, 5as led, alternator led, coolant led, rpm, fuel pump etc etc).

If you still have the mini loom with the glass fuses you'd be best getting a closed mems3 loom made from your bits then just powering the mini from the mems3 fuse box.

I think that is the info your after ?

Last edited by edk83; Yesterday at 09:15 PM.